We’ve noticed that many lists of the best self-publishing companies are severely outdated (and not selective at all) and are therefore very unhelpful, so we’ve devised our own list of self-publishing companies, updated for 2020.
The list is organized in alphabetical order, but rest assured that only the best self-publishing companies are included in this list. The criteria for making the list: Each self-publishing company must have a strong online reputation and overall positive customer reviews and ratings. The companies are also required to provide professional and responsive customer service and solid service value. Years in business is also taken into account, among other factors. Many of the self-publishers included here are small to medium-sized firms because they tend to focus more on quality than the larger companies do. We’ve found that many of the “large” self-publishing companies carry dismal customer ratings and deliver low value, so most of those companies are not on this list. In other words, if you’re looking for the biggest or largest self-publishing companies, this isn’t the list for you.
The entries below contain a link to each respective self-publishing company, along with a quick note about each company’s unique trait(s). Click on the links below to perform additional research of your own before hiring a self-publishing company.
Featured Self-Publishing Companies: The Best of the Best
- MindStir Media: An award-winning company in business for over a decade. As part of their self-publishing services packages, authors receive mentoring and advice from the owner of the company, an 8x award winning author.
- Morris Publishing: Family-owned and operated business. Full-service publishing services. 4.8 stars out of 5 stars on Trust Pilot.
- Word Association Publishers: Authors can purchase book publishing services a la carte as needed. The company doesn’t use high-pressure sales tactics to gain clients, so don’t expect a “pitch.”
List of the Best Self-Publishing Companies
- AIA Publishing: Charges by the hour for their publishing services vs. offering packages.
- Amplify Publishing: Seemingly specializes in business and political books. Company refers to itself as a “hybrid publisher.”
- Aventine Press: Full transparency and low prices for their no frills services.
- Book Launchers: Providers of ghostwriting services for business books as well as editing, platform building, publishing and promotions.
- Book Reality: Digital and paperback publishing assistance.
- Inspiring Voices: Specializes in helping authors self-publish inspirational books.
- Instant Publisher: Printer for self-publishers. Publish your book in as few as 7 days.
- Jera Publishing: Helps authors prepare their manuscript for submission to a printer of choice.
- Mascot Books: They do not offer packages. Services are tailored to the author’s needs.
- Publishing Xpress: Highly-rated printer for self-publishers.
- Redemption Press: Christian book publisher. Woman-owned.
- SilverWood Books: Professional self-publishing services for independent authors.
- York Publishing Services: A complete quality self-publishing service.